Task 3A - Current Networks

When it comes to my professional network there are a few key points that I have been focussing on:
  1. Identifying - what is the basis of my network and who is currently in it?
  2. Building - how did I build my existing network and how will I continue to grow it?
  3. Maintaining - what is the best way to keep in touch with my network in order to maintain a professional connection with them?
  4. Ethical Considerations - thoughts and concerns about networking in the work place.
IDENTIFY
Firstly what does network mean?

My professional network is currently made up of:
  • Friends/piers who I studied with at college and who have also pursued a career in the arts.
  • Artisits who I have with with previously.
  • Colleagues who I currently work with.
  • Artists who I have met at events or been introduced to through colleagues.
BUILD
I would say the foundation of my network was created through fostering personal relationships, most people in my professional network I have met in person and I would also say that I have a personal as well as a professional relationship with them. More recently I have expanded my network through attending conventions, expositions and training courses, I have found this to be a great way to meet people who are in similar professions but are not necessarily located near me. These contacts I have less of a personal connection with and therefore the primary theme of our interactions revolve around our professional practice.

MAINTIAN 
How do you keep in touch with your entire professional network? No doubt the easiest and most efficient way to do this is through the use of web 2.0 and the various online platforms available to us at all times. If this is our chosen method of maintaining relationships do we run the risk of excluding those who chose not to engage in such platforms themselves? Are we also relying on the fact that other people are interested in our lives and the information that we chose to post and share? I find it interesting to take part in online forums and connect with people that way but I recognize that I could do more to maintain the relationships in my network.

ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS
My main thought would be to ensure that when in the workplace that I do keep all interactions at a professional level not only with my colleagues but also with others who are in that environment - such as parents of students and the students themselves. Another thought is to remain professional should the subject of another studio or specific teacher arise - you never know who knows who and although those people may not currently be in my professional network it is not unlikely that they could be in the future. It is our responsibility to maintain a high level of inter-professional respect. 


Comments

Popular Posts