Getting to know Gantt Charts

In Module 2, as part of our project plan proposal for our inquiry, we are required to include a step-by-step timeline of our research activity - and this should include a Gantt Chart. Now if you are like me then you have never heard of a Gantt chart and so naturally I Googled it.

"A Gantt chart is a type of bar chart that illustrates a project schedule. This chart lists the tasks to be performed on the vertical axis, and time intervals on the horizontal axis. The width of the horizontal bars in the graph show the duration of each activity. Gantt charts illustrate the start and finish dates of the terminal elements and summary elements of a project." Thanks Wikipedia! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantt_chart

Now that I know what a basic chart looks like I started to look into how to put together my own Gantt chart for my inquiry research. These are some initial steps that I came up with:


  1. Make a list of all the tasks that need to be complete throughout my inquiry
  2. Know the earliest time in which I can start and be aware of my deadline.
  3. Evaluate how long each task will take me to complete.
  4. Identify which tasks are dependent on the completion of a previous task and which ones can be completed independently.
The more research I did showed that there are many programs and apps that can help you put together a Gantt chant for your project and customize it. I am going to continue my research and after putting together one for my Module 2 submission I plan to reflect upon the process to see if I think it would be beneficial to implement in my professional practice. I might consider using a Gantt chart throughout the dance season to help with my personal teaching schedule and what I need to accomplish during that time. 

How is everyone else coming along with their chart? Are you including any additional steps when planning out your inquiry? Have you found a part of your professional practice where you could potentially utilize a Gantt chart?



Comments

  1. Wow, VERY glad I stumbled upon this post as well. Thank you for breaking down the Gantt chart, and your approach! Extremely helpful to see an example of how to potentially draft one up, and organize a cluster of steps. What were some of the apps you've found most useful in doing this? I can see how this would be an essential skill to have as a project co-ordiantor, and can think of MANY times in my life where this would have been/will be useful. Specifically projects like recording an album, or designing sound for a game. There's so many elements to each one of those tasks and projects, that a Gantt would be a great asset to utilize. Looking forward to practicing it on this project!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts