Task 1A - CV and Professional Profile

After reading through some blog posts I realized, like many others from module 1, that this is the first time in a long time that I have taken a proper look at my CV! And not only am I dusting it off to simply update my information, change my headshot, or add another line of employment, I am looking at it with the objection of actually improving the quality of it and making it better.

I have seen a few thoughts on whether or not our CV's should include an "ABOUT ME" section, a short intro that outlines a few key points about ourselves, why we are looking for employment, and the qualities we possess to make us most suitable for said job. In a "NORMAL CV" this would take place in the form of a cover letter and is an essential way to showcase yourself, however in my professional practice as a dance teacher I think a few lines to best describe myself and teaching philosophy is sufficient. Here is what I put together so far:

"I am passionate about teaching students to develop and improve within their dance training, as well as providing them with the knowledge, confidence, and skills to succeed in the future. The dance industry is forever evolving and therefore so must our teaching. I believe in the value of continued education and looking for new opportunities to learn and grow as a professional dance educator."

Coupled with a clear and concise list of my previous work experience, training undertaken, and additional skills, I think I am on a good track to completing my professional CV and other online profiles as a dance educator. However this leads me to a new thought process...

Like many who teach dance, I used to perform myself and have completed several contracts and danced for various shows. I feel like that information and my performance experience is important to an employer, it gives a sense where I came from and my dance journey, but to what extent should I be showcasing that? Compiling a full list of the jobs I completed since graduation can seem a little like overkill when I am transitioning into a teaching role where I spend time with 5 years olds learning to jump, skip and point their toes. Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this. And the same applies throughout the arts, do we hang on these previous experiences because we know they are not likely to happen again? Although they were a valuable part of our development as professionals are they still relevant to us today?


 

Comments

  1. I love the few lines you added about your philosophy, and outlining your goals with teaching.
    Very well written, professional, and captivating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts